There are few things in life as artistically satisfying for me than to have the opportunity to create an heirloom quality portrait for a client. Perhaps it is the exhilaration of observing the client’s emotional reaction to the work that I find so rewarding. But I can’t help but feel that this is the way that I can best share my “gift” with others–by helping people honor and immortalize those they hold so dear.
I can create a pastel drawing or oil painting of your loved one or colleague starting at various price points. Below is an outline of my typical commission process:
- Personal Consultation: Initial discussion to identify scope of work and client objectives.
- Subject Observation: Meeting with subject (portrait sitter) to observe & better understand the personality and mannerisms of the individual. If possible, I will sketch and make initial studies from life.
- Photo-shoot Preparation: Photo-shoot location & date identified along with attire and and other details.
- Photo-shoot and Review: Photos are taken (for use as painting references), processed and reviewed with the client to identify candidates for the final painted portrait.
- Painting/Delivery: Typically a year once the painting process begins depending upon the complexity and scope of the work. Note: A 50% deposit is required at the time of booking.
My 2015 Commission Prices are as follows and are based on how much of the person you want shown and in what media (i.e “head and shoulders”, “full figure”):
Portraits in Pastel
- Head and shoulders, 11” x 14”: $1,200
- Head, shoulders and hands, (half figure) 16” x 20”: $2,000
- 3/4 length figure: $2,500
- Full figure, 18” x 24”: $3,000
- Head and shoulders, 11” x 14”: $1,700
- Head, shoulders and hands, (half figure) 16” x 20”: $2,500
- 3/4 length figure: $3,000
- Full figure, 18” x 24”: $3,500
Portraits in Oil (Canvas or Panel)
- Head and shoulders, 16” x 20”: $2,000
- Head, shoulders and hands, (half figure) 30” x 36”: $3,000
- 3/4 length figure, , 30” x 40: $5,000
- Full figure, 30” x 40” or 36” x 48”: $6,000
- Head and shoulders, 16” x 20”: $2,500
- Head, shoulders and hands, (half figure) 30” x 36”: $3,500
- 3/4 length figure, , 30” x 40: $5,500
- Full figure, 30” x 40” or 36” x 48”: $6,500
Additional charges may apply
- Prices above reflect individual portraits. For multi-figure portraits, multiply the fees shown per each additional figure.
- Out of state travel.
- Re-shoots for reference photos.
- Complexity of subject matter. I.e., elaborate book cases, beading on gowns etc.
- Additional portrait modifications beyond the original scope of the contract.
Please contact me directly if you are interested in commissioning a portrait by phone or by email. (571)225.2332 or Suzanne@lagoarthurstudio.com. All inquires welcome. Thank you!